Thursday, September 29, 2011

This Would Be So AWESOME!!!!!

Okay, this has little (if anything) to do with Canadian boneheads exclusively, but they were amongst those who complained bitterly and impudently about Idris Elba (who if fanfuckingtastic, by the way) being cast in the role of Heimdall in the "Thor" movie.

Let's just say if they hated that, they will have a massive freak out if this happens:



Idris Elba: I'd consider playing James Bond

By Breeanna Hare, CNN
updated 12:31 PM EST, Thu September 29, 2011
 
(CNN) -- As a strapping, dapper actor with an English accent, Idris Elba is an obvious choice to play James Bond. But the actor tells NPR that talk of him potentially landing the part is nothing more than gossip.

"It's a rumor," he said on "Morning Edition." "It's a very old rumor. My dad and I were talking about this the other day. I would do it, but I don't want to be called the first black James Bond. Do you understand what I 'm saying? Sean Connery wasn't the Scottish James Bond and Daniel Craig wasn't the blue-eyed James Bond. So if I played him, I don't want to be called the black James Bond."

As Elba goes on to explain, he didn't come to the States "to play black roles. I just came to play roles."

For example, his character on "The Wire," Stringer Bell, "was a smart drug dealer, in my opinion. He's black, but that's not the point. The point is, this is a man caught between two worlds. That complex sort of balance that he's in is what made the drama."

The same can be said of detective John Luther, the character he plays on BBC America's "Luther," which launches its second season tonight. "Luther has this capability to think how his perpetrators are thinking, and what they may or may not do next. And I think Luther lives quite close to rage himself," the actor says of his character, which earned him an Emmy nod.

"The difference between someone with a conscience and someone without is that one person will say, 'You know what? No, I'm not going to go over to that person and smash them in the face.' But the other person is quite close to that decision without any remorse and just will do it. And I think Luther is close to that mark all the time," he explains.

Both of those roles are emblematic of the work Elba longs for, with Nelson Mandela being another multifaceted figure he's eager to portray.

But, Elba continues, "if Sony decided to call me and said hey, we wanted to do [James Bond], I'd definitely consider it."

Is there, like, a petition for us to sign to make this happen? He would be fantastic in the role and, of course, the sound of 1000s of boneheads skulls exploding in rage would be a great side show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A black James Bond would be interesting, so long as he played James Bond and not 'Black James Bond' as he said, and I'm glad he thinks of it that way. However, him playing James Bond would certainly piss off a lot of people, not just racists, as I'm sure him playing an originally white character in a comic adaption did. I'm sure a black man playing an ancient Norse (who, to my understanding, are more or less the Aryans of Nazi - or at least neo-Nazi - mythology) god, whether based on a comic book's loose adaptation of one or not, would certainly piss them off more than a black man playing an English spy in a well-overdone series of films loosely based on an extremely dated series of 1950s' and 60s' novels. Besides, James Bond has been a tonne of different people in a ridiculously long time period, my favourite popular fan theory being that in the film universe (since many other major characters keep the same actors throughout various Bonds) James Bond is also just a codename like 007 (he does throw it around with very little regard for who he is telling it to) given to another once the last Bond dies or retires. In a movie like Thor (I haven't seen it but I can assume) a black man getting such a part was more than likely purely done to avoid a group of idiots pulling out the racist card. The comic character was white, the Norse god was white, chances are few if any Norse even knew that there were people of different colours. I am all for anti-racism but this politically correct bullshit is out of control and just obnoxious; if there is no black people in a story then there are no black people in the damn story, I mean sorry but fuck. Anyway, went on a ridiculous little rant there...but yeah, black James Bond, cool.